Supplemental Resources and Forms for Intercessory Prayer
“Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.” 1 Peter 3:9.
Many intercessors have been taught to pray against our enemies, but the Bible teaches us something different. Jesus told us to love our enemies and bless those who curse us (Luke 6:27,28). He warns us not to be judgmental, and not to condemn lest we ourselves be condemned (Luke 6:37, 38). Instead we are called to be a blessing, and in so doing we will fulfill our calling and receive a blessing ourselves (2 Peter 3:9) It is the blessing that brings change to a bad situation. By praying God’s plans and purposes, we can change the atmosphere and release God’s power. To defeat the darkness, all that is needed is to turn on the light.
For a Dioceses, a Church, a Local Community and the Body of Christ
By: Brad & Melba Burk
- Bless you with experiencing and expressing the heart of God.
- Bless you with a spirit of unity with God and humanity.
- Bless you with life-giving identity as a child of the Most High God.
- Bless you with identity: You are His beloved and created and designed by God.
- Bless you with knowing howGod sees you and others – a reflection of His great love.
- Bless you with the ability to demonstrate what your eyes see in heavenly places.
- Bless you to express what your ears hear from theGod in prayer.
- Bless you with courage to trust and obey the voice of the God.
- Bless you to accept and acknowledge truth that conveys the God’s heart.
- Bless you with the ability to receive and give the love of the Father.
- Bless you to change the atmosphere by expressing God’s wisdom and revelation.
- Bless you to come out of hiding and from under a slumbering spirit to fulfill destiny.
- Bless you with the spirit of wisdom and revelation by having your eyes of understanding enlightened.
- Bless you with being a lighthouse whose light shines into all the dark places bringing hope.
- Bless you with being like a city set on a hill whose light cannot be hidden.
- Bless you to become a path of righteousness that shines brighter and brighter.
- Bless you with insight, vision and understanding to impact communities, cities, states and nations.
- Bless you with the power to heal and restore the wounded and brokenhearted.
- Bless you with the spiritual skill and compassion to receive and embrace the outcast.
- Bless you with the authority and desire to bring the lonely into the family of God.
- Bless you with the Father’s love that will cast out all fear of those who are afraid.
- Bless you with the ability to restore and build confidence in your relationship with God, The Father.
- Bless you with reestablishing your heart with the God-given gift of joyfulness.
- Bless you with wisdom to lead people into an overcoming lifestyle.
- Bless you with the grace, the power of God’s presence, to experience the faithfulness of God.
- Bless you with being known and received as a friend of God and one who seeks His face.
- Bless you with the freedom to flourish in the face of all opposition.
- Bless you with great grace to align with God’s plan and purpose to impact the next generation.
- Bless you with encountering the brooding and hovering of the spirit of God in your services.
- Bless you with a sure foundation on which to build, develop and strengthen God’s work.
“Teach me your way, O Lord, and will walk in your truth, give me an undivided heart that might fear your name.” Psalm 86:11
God Bless Our Country and the Nations
- Bless (Place, city, town, nation)______ & all its citizens with eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart to know the truth of the Gospel.
- Bless _______ with a spirit of receptivity to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Bless ______ with SALVATIONS unlimited. Every man, woman and child to receive eternal salvation.
- Bless _____ with more of God’s Holy Spirit to be evident in their lives.
- Bless _______ with all the gifts of the Spirit of God resident in their lives.
- Bless ________ with a heart after God.
- Bless _______ with a hunger after God’s Holy Word and the ability to read and recall the Word as needed.
- Bless with the whole Church taking the whole Gospel to the whole world.
- Bless _______ with an abundance of evangelists in its midst.
- Bless _____ with innovative “cutting edge” approaches to evangelism in our media and communications outlets.
- Bless _______ with creative ways of presenting the Gospel being sensitive to reach all people in a way they can hear the good news.
- Bless ______ to be truth seekers with hearts after the One, True God, the Lord God Jehovah.
- Bless ______ with dreams and visions of Jesus Christ.
- Bless ______ with discovering the legacy of faith in its history. Repent where we should repent and celebrate where we should celebrate.
- Bless ______ with Bible studies taking place at work, in neighborhoods and schools.
- Bless ______ with leaders who are followers of Jesus at every local, state and federal office.
- Bless ______ with judges in courts who will uphold God’s law and not any of man’s laws that contradict God’s law.
- Bless _______ to fulfill its Godly destiny.
- Bless _______ with a newly found heart for prayer.
- Bless _____ to see its prayers answered by God.
- Bless _____ with testimonies of God’s hearing and answering prayers that change men’s hearts.
- Bless _____ with a spiritual awakening across the nation.
- Bless ____ with a newly found trust in God their creator and care for God’s creation.
- Bless _______ with a renewing of its citizens’ minds to be the minds of Christ through God’s Word.
- Bless ____with a gift of giving to supply the needs of others, which will open hearts to the gospel.
- Bless ____ with favor with the nations of the earth and God.
- Bless _____with experiencing God as Father that repairs and replaces the orphan
- Bless ____ with God’s restoration of all its citizens’ souls through Jesus Christ.
- Bless ______ with hope.
- Bless _____ with signs and wonders from the God’s hand.
- Bless ____ with Biblical values to live by that produce much fruit in the lives of
- Bless ______ with a “rain” of the Spirit of God which has never been seen before.
- Bless _____with a new generation of emerging leaders whose lives are based on God and His principles.
- Bless _____ with a gift of hospitality to host Bible studies and home meetings for worship and prayer.
- Bless _____with a “new song” from the Lord, a song in the hearts of its people for
life and life more abundantly.
Prayers for National Life
18. For our Country
See also Various Occasions no. 17.
Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage: We humbly beseech thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of thy favor and glad to do thy will.
Bless our land with honorable industry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people the multitudes brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endue with the spirit of wisdom those to whom in thy Name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to thy law, we may show forth thy praise among the nations of the earth.
In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in thee to fail; all which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
19. For the President of the United States and all in Civil
O Lord our Governor, whose glory is in all the world: We commend this nation to thy merciful care, that, being guided by thy Providence, we may dwell secure in thy peace. Grant to the President of the United States, the Governor of this State (or Commonwealth), and to all in authority, wisdom and strength to know and to do thy will. Fill them with the love of truth and righteousness, and make them ever mindful of their calling to serve this people in thy fear; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
For Congress or a State Legislature
O God, the fountain of wisdom, whose will is good and gracious, and whose law is truth: We beseech thee so to guide and bless our Senators and Representatives in Congress assembled (orin the Legislature of this State, or Common-wealth), that they may enact such laws as shall please thee, to the glory of thy Name and the welfare of this people; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
21. For Courts of Justice
Almighty God, who sittest in the throne judging right: We humbly beseech thee to bless the courts of justice and the magistrates in all this land; and give unto them the spirit of wisdom and understanding, that they may discern the truth, and impartially administer the law in the fear of thee alone; through him who shall come to be our Judge, thy Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.
22. For Sound Government
The responses in italics may be omitted.
O Lord our Governor, bless the leaders of our land, that we may be a people at peace among ourselves and a blessing to other nations of the earth. Lord, keep this nation under your care.
To the President and members of the Cabinet, to Governors of States, Mayors of Cities, and to all in administrative authority, grant wisdom and grace in the exercise of their duties. Give grace to your servants, O Lord.
To Senators and Representatives, and those who make our laws in States, Cities, and Towns, give courage, wisdom, and foresight to provide for the needs of all our people, and to fulfill our obligations in the community of nations. Give grace to your servants, O Lord.
To the Judges and officers of our Courts give understanding and integrity, that human rights may be safeguarded and justice served. Give grace to your servants, O Lord.
And finally, teach our people to rely on your strength and to accept their responsibilities to their fellow citizens, that they may elect trustworthy leaders and make wise decisions for the well-being of our society; that we may serve you faithfully in our generation and honor your holy Name. For yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Amen.
23. For Local Government
Almighty God our heavenly Father, send down upon those who hold office in this State (Commonwealth, City, County, Town, ____________) the spirit of wisdom, charity, and justice; that with steadfast purpose they may faithfully serve in their offices to promote the well-being of all people; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
24. For an Election
Almighty God, to whom we must account for all our powers and privileges: Guide the people of the United States (or of this community) in the election of officials and representatives; that, by faithful administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
For those in the Armed Forces of our Country
Almighty God, we commend to your gracious care and keeping all the men and women of our armed forces at home and abroad. Defend them day by day with your heavenly grace; strengthen them in their trials and temptations; give them courage to face the perils which beset them; and grant them a sense of your abiding presence wherever they may be; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
26. For those who suffer for the sake of Conscience
O God our Father, whose Son forgave his enemies while he was suffering shame and death: Strengthen those who suffer for the sake of conscience; when they are accused, save them from speaking in hate; when they are rejected, save them from bitterness; when they are imprisoned, save them from despair; and to us your servants, give grace to respect their witness and to discern the truth, that our society may be cleansed and strengthened. This we ask for the sake of Jesus Christ, our merciful and righteous Judge. Amen.
Prayers for the Social Order
27. For Social Justice
See also Various Occasions no. 21.
Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so move every human heart [and especially the hearts of the people of this land], that barriers which divide us may crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
In Times of Conflict
O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us, in the midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront one another without hatred or bitterness, and to work together with mutual forbearance and respect; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
29. For Agriculture
See also Various Occasions no. 19.
Almighty God, we thank you for making the earth fruitful, so that it might produce what is needed for life: Bless those who work in the fields; give us seasonable weather; and grant that we may all share the fruits for the earth, rejoicing in your goodness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
For prayers for Industry and Labor, see Various Occasions no. 19, no. 24, and no. 25.
30. For the Unemployed
Heavenly Father, we remember before you those who suffer want and anxiety from lack of work. Guide the people of this land so to use our public and private wealth that all may find suitable and fulfilling employment, and receive just payment for their labor; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
31. For Schools and Colleges
O Eternal God, bless all schools, colleges, and universities [and especially ___________], that they may be lively centers for sound learning, new discovery, and the pursuit of wisdom; and grant that those who teach and those who learn may find you to be the source of all truth; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
For Education, see Various Occasions no. 23.
For the Good Use of Leisure
O God, in the course of this busy life, give us times of refreshment and peace; and grant that we may so use our leisure to rebuild our bodies and renew our minds, that our spirits may be opened to the goodness of your creation; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
33. For Cities
Heavenly Father, in your Word you have given us a vision of that holy City to which the nations of the world bring their glory: Behold and visit, we pray, the cities of the earth. Renew the ties of mutual regard which form our civic life. Send us honest and able leaders. Enable us to eliminate poverty, prejudice, and oppression, that peace may prevail with righteousness, and justice with order, and that men and women from different cultures and with differing talents may find with one another the fulfillment of their humanity; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
34. For Towns and Rural Areas
Lord Christ, when you came among us, you proclaimed the kingdom of God in villages, towns, and lonely places: Grant that your presence and power may be known throughout this land. Have mercy upon all of us who live and work in rural areas [especially ___________]; and grant that all the people of our nation may give thanks to you for food and drink and all other bodily necessities of life, respect those who labor to produce them, and honor the land and the water from which these good things come. All this we ask in your holy Name. Amen.
35. For the Poor and the Neglected
Almighty and most merciful God, we remember before you all poor and neglected persons whom it would be easy for us to forget: the homeless and the destitute, the old and the sick, and all who have none to care for them. Help us to heal those who are broken in body or spirit, and to turn their sorrow into joy. Grant this, Father, for the love of your Son, who for our sake became poor, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
36. For the Oppressed
Look with pity, O heavenly Father, upon the people in this land who live with injustice, terror, disease, and death as their constant companions. Have mercy upon us. Help us to eliminate our cruelty to these our neighbors. Strengthen those who spend their lives establishing equal protection of the law and equal opportunities for all. And grant that every one of us may enjoy a fair portion of the riches of this land; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
37. For Prisons and Correctional Institutions
Lord Jesus, for our sake you were condemned as a criminal: Visit our jails and prisons with your pity and judgment. Remember all prisoners, and bring the guilty to repentance and amendment of life according to your will, and give them hope for their future. When any are held unjustly, bring them release; forgive us, and teach us to improve our justice. Remember those who work in these institutions; keep them humane and compassionate; and save them from becoming brutal or callous. And since what we do for those in prison, O Lord, we do for you, constrain us to improve their lot. All this we ask for your mercy’s sake. Amen.